In class I am teaching a mental health unit where we discuss some very heavy subjects such as depression, suicide, rape, domestic/dating violence, prejudice, etc. We get into some deep discussions which I am LOVING, but you can imagine it gets to be a little depressing (no pun intended.) The other day we talked about how we judge and stereotype people based on appearance or "here-say". I assigned them a poem to write based on the theme "Just because I am... Please don't stereotype me". They were to write about stereotypes people give them because of their age, appearance, cultural background, dress, friends, etc. and how they are either true or false stereotypes. I was a little worried about how they would do on this project because I got a lot of whining. I have been grading them all afternoon and I am pleasantly surprised at how amazing they are! These poems are so powerful! Some of my quietest kids have so much to say and it is so great to see their personality come out! On the other side of it, my wildest kids are proving to me that they have a sensitive and serious side. I think that they have all been able to recognize that they do not like to be labelled and are more aware of the ways that they label their peers. I am so glad that I gave them this assignment! It is so rewarding to see that I really am making a difference in their lives and teaching them something.
Friday, March 14, 2008
"Just because I am... Please dont stereotype me!"
Posted by Michelle and Tyler at Friday, March 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
What a great lesson idea. What format did u have them follow, if any?
Michelle, You are such a great teacher! So what is your response to Just because I am ... Please don't stereotype me?
Post a Comment